Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Good-bye, Beef

Quite the weekend. I was feeling yucko Friday, so I stayed home. We left for Pa. that afternoon, arriving about 1:30 am. Then we worked at our friend's house all day Saturday, getting back to the hotel a bit after midnight. Then up at 7 to drive home. Ugh. The boy wasn't feeling great yesterday, so I stayed home with him. I'm beat!

Glad it's a new month, although April is my favorite, just because it feels like a fresh start. My eating was lousy over the weekend. No excuses, and nothing I can do about it now, except live with the consequences. When I got home, I checked all my meals to make sure they were balanced & properly portioned, then I bagged it all up for the week. That should make it easy to stay on track this week. Since I wasn't here last Friday, I didn't weigh. I'll let you know how it goes this Friday.

We haven't eaten much beef in quite a while. For one, the amount of antibiotics and steroids in commercial meats has long bothered me. Two, I seriously doubt we are doing a good job of keeping mad cow out of our food. And three, we have a lot of deer, which is better and cheaper in any case. This weekend I got a 4 and a 5: I read "Fast Food Nation" - while I knew meat packing plants were dirty, I had no idea how absolutely inhuman the treatment of the workers is throughout the industry and 5) I now have a great source for natural elk at $3 per pound. We were down to eating beef maybe once a month. No more. If I lived in a country where the industry was actually overseen by an agency outside of the companies, yeah, maybe. But here? No way.

This afternoon, Neca go to gym to move grey pieces of iron around room. I think I'll be working upper body. Bring on the fun!

No comments: