Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Consistency is the most critical element

Lately, I've come to value consistency over willpower.  Willpower is good, but it doesn't always stick around.  Ingrained habits stay with you. These days the weight isn't exactly falling off, but it has been consistently heading downward.  The things I'm doing feel sustainable.

I've been getting on the scale pretty much every day.  At first I was a bit nervous.  Like many folks, I have a bad tendency of letting the scale dictate my mood for the day, so I wasn't sure this would work for me.  But I have found the opposite to be true: by seeing a new number every day, I have so much data that a single data point doesn't hold a lot of power.

The other nice thing about daily weighing is that it lets me see the impact different things have on the scale.  A good example was this weekend: I did NOT go overboard with my eating.  I ate some things I don't normally have and I ate several meals out, but not to excess.  Nevertheless, the scale was up 2 pounds after my trip.  It's still up a pound.  What!?!?

My takeaway from that is: it's okay to travel and enjoy something out of the ordinary, but there will be a price on the scale.  And if its taking you most of the week to get back to where you were before, then it better be OUT of the ordinary, or every week you'll be undoing the damage from the weekend!  It's not worth it on a regular basis!

Last night's workout was awesome!  I was a little grouchy headed to the gym, but a solid weight session followed by HIIT on the elliptical, and I was good!  Tonight is water aerobics.

Have a good evening!

3 comments:

Gwen said...

Neca, pardon the Portuguese, but it sounds like you've got your shit together! :)

neca said...

Yeah, for now. I know not to take it for granted - we humans love to revert to sloth. :-)

Val said...

Well Neca, as you well know, you couldn't have gained 2 solid lbs in a single day (it's fluid retention). I'm glad the daily weigh-in routine is working for you, but I hold to once or twice a week... One slice of pizza = one lb bloat for me! (yeah, I know, that should be an easy answer - give up the pizza! but that's hard w/a teenage boy in da house... At least we've cut it down to maybe once a MONTH instead of once a WEEK!