Monday, May 20, 2013

Home again, home again

And we're back from an amazing weekend!  Here's where we went:


We drove down to Key West Friday afternoon, stopping in Islamorada for dinner.  Saturday we woke up at butt crack and boarded a boat for the Dry Tortugas - the trip was a little over 2 hours.  There is no electricity or water on the island - really, island is far too grand a term.  It's 13 acres of rock & sand, with a mostly finished fort on it.

I rate it as tied for the best snorkeling I've done (it's tied with Hanauma Bay Hawaii).  It was just incredible - lots of fish, lots of color, large fish, and a nice variety.  I saw some huge parrot fish:


and a good size barracuda:


plus a lot of other fish.  We ate breakfast and lunch on the boat, then had steamed shrimp and cole slaw at the Half Shell raw Bar in Key West when we got back.

Breakfast Sunday was eggs & some sliced ham at the hotel, lunch was a conch burger at the Cracked Conch Cafe in Marathon, and dinner was vegetable soup at home.

My phone didn't work saturday so I didn't take it and honestly I didn't much think about photgraphing my food.  For the record, we didn't purchase any key lime pie.  Food was okay, not terrible but not as on point as when I'm at home.

3 comments:

Val said...

I still retain fond memories of snorkeling w/H1 at Key West 20+ yrs ago; even better was the magical experience of snorkeling hand-in-hand w/Z at Waikiki (6 yrs ago)!
I'm definitely putting Dry Tortugas on my list...

Mrs Swan said...

Love the pictures! When I was growing up my stepfather's family had a house in Key Largo so I spent a lot of time on the water fishing. Miss those pretty fish! I was to chicken to get into water plus wearing glasses makes it hard to use goggles. LOL (I grew up in Miami so we were close)

PlumPetals said...

Wow! Sounds wonderful! :)